Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Lover Awakened By J.R. Ward

Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood #3)

Genre: Paranormal Romance

Description:

A former blood slave, the vampire Zsadist still bears the scars from a past filled with suffering and humiliation. Renowned for his unquenchable fury and sinister deeds, he is a savage feared by humans and vampires alike. Anger is his only companion, and terror is his only passion—until he rescues a beautiful aristocrat from the evil Lessening Society.

Bella is instantly entranced by the seething power Zsadist possesses. But even as their desire for one another begins to overtake them both, Zsadist’s thirst for vengeance against Bella’s tormentors drives him to the brink of madness. Now, Bella must help her lover overcome the wounds of his tortured past, and find a future with her…





Review

This is one of the Black Dagger Brotherhood books that will touch you, it’s heart breaking but also heart warming. Filled with healing and being able to trust and love again from someone who was so badly broken and wounded by his past. Bella has been taken and held prisoner by a lesser who was psychotic, believing he loves her and that she was his to have, his wife. Zsadist is on the war path, killing all lesser he can find in honour of Bella who everyone believes is dead, when he learns that she is alive he is set on a rescue mission even if it is at his own detriment. Zsadist succeeds in his rescue, taking the injured Bella back to the Brotherhood mansion, taking her to his room to watch over her, not leaving her side, taking care of her. Bella eventually needs to feed and it forces Zsadist to remember things from his past, his slavery, the mistress that used his, his bands, he believes himself to be tainted, to be worthless, to be dirty. While at the mansion Bella goes into her needing, that is when the real steam starts and what helps breakdown some of Zsadist's barriers; the dark pits of his eyes returning to yellow colour like the eyes of his twin Phury. Zsadist’s reaction when Bella caught him touching himself was adorable;

“Disgusted with himself, he released his hand and started yanking the boxers back up-
“Don’t stop,” Bella said softly.
A frigid blast shot down Z’s spine. Busted.
His eyes went to hers as the blood hit his face”

When Bella returned to Zsadist after two months and he was starting to learn to read and he wrote “I Love You” to Bella, my eyes brimmed with tears;

“He glanced back down at the pencil in his hand and then turned to the table. Flipping the spiral notebook to a new page, he bent way over and laboured on top of the paper for quite a while. Then he ripped the sheet free.
His hand was shaking as he held it out. “It’s messy.”
Bella took the paper. In a child’s uneven block letters there were three words: I LOVE YOU.”

Zsadist says perfect in a line what Bella did for him and how much she means to him;

“I was dead until you found me, though I breathed. I was sightless, though I could see. And then you came...and I was awakened.”

I loved when Zsadist found out about Bella’s pregnancy at the end and how he cried and wish for a daughter who looked just like Bella, you can read more about Zsadist, Bella and their baby in the Insider’s Guide in the novella Father Mine. We get information about where John Matthew from the last book ended up as well in this book, living with Tohr and Wellsie, finally finding a family, a home. This would have to be my favourite Black Dagger Brotherhood novel, at the very least in my top three. This series never fails to capture my full attention and enthral me completely.





Rating:«««««

2 comments:

Amber I @ Awesomesauce said...

This is my favorite book in the series!! I love love love it. Great review and I love the quotes.

Jet said...

Thank you.I know how you feel! It's just amazing.
I had to stop myself from putting too many quotes in, there are so many great ones to pick out from the book :)