Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Halfway To The Grave By Jeaniene Frost

Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress #1)

Genre: Urban Fantasy

Description:

Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father—the one responsible for ruining her mother's life. Then she's captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unholy partnership.

In exchange for finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her battle reflexes are as sharp as his fangs. She's amazed she doesn't end up as his dinner—are there actually good vampires? Pretty soon Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn't have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her newfound status as kick-ass demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side . . . and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat.






Review

Bones is a character you can’t help but fall for and Cat is one of those female leads you would love to be friends with...and secretly envy. Cat is on the war-path against vamps, her herself being a half-bred produced by her mother being used by a vampire unwillingly, is able to detect their presence, but when she targets Bones, she get more then she bargains for.  Bones who happens to be a vampire also hunts vampires himself, however vampires can sense when he is near whereas they can’t detect her and with discovering what Cat is, he sees the perfect opportunity to take her under his wing and team up. Cat is oblivious to how much Bones wants her until he finally makes it clear;

“”Kitten look at me,” he said flatly.

I blinked. “I am,”

“No, you’re not.” He slid closer, his eyes all green now.”You stare straight through me as if I’m not even there. You look at me...and you don’t see a man. You see a vampire, and therefore accord me less substance, One of the few exceptions was last weekend. I held you and kissed you, watched your eyes light up with desire, and knew for once you were truly seeing me for all I was. Not just a non-beating heat with a shell around it. I dare you to look at me that way again, now, with no excuse of chemicals to fall back on. I want you.””

A steamy romp follows and about time to. Things get complicated when Hennessey nabs Cats mother and they need to get her back, a very dangerous task. Though everything works out, Cat is torn, she needs to keep Bones safe from the danger she has signed up for with the U.S government, unwillingly might I add, and in order to do that she makes the heart breaking decision to leave, a new life, a new name. However this isn’t the end of Cat and Bones, the last line in the book, spoken by Bones earlier on in the piece and reflected upon by Cat says it all;

If you run from me, I’ll chase you. And I’ll find you...





Rating: «««««

No comments: