Thursday, October 27, 2011

Graffiti Moon By Cath Crowley

Graffiti Moon


Genre: Young Adult

Description:

"Let me make it in time. Let me meet Shadow. The guy who paints in the dark. Paints birds trapped on brick walls and people lost in ghost forests. Paints guys with grass growing from their hearts and girls with buzzing lawn mowers."

It’s the end of Year 12. Lucy’s looking for Shadow, the graffiti artist everyone talks about.

His work is all over the city, but he is nowhere.

Ed, the last guy she wants to see at the moment, says he knows where to find him. He takes Lucy on an all-night search to places where Shadow’s thoughts about heartbreak and escape echo around the city walls.

But the one thing Lucy can’t see is the one thing that’s right before her eyes.







Review

Lucy is on the hunt for Shadow, a street spray painter who inspires her with his artwork, she knows in her heart that she has to meet him, she is determined to do so but little does she know that the infamous Shadow is someone she already knows, someone she had broke the nose of in the past. I like the breaks of poetry by “Poet” in the book and the writing throughout has some beautiful words and imagery, I just wish I could have liked this more; it didn’t have the magic that makes you get lost in a book. I liked the ending how everything came together;

“I know who I am. I don’t know exactly who we are together, yet. Ed takes out a can and paints a little yellow bird. It’s not like that sleeping bird, belly up to the sky.
It’s awake.”

I had read Chasing Charlie Duskin by this author years and years ago and I really enjoyed that book, the personality of the characters, with this one it just didn’t have the same edge to me. I liked Lucy however, she has spunk and I loved when she punched Malcolm, she is a unique character. Over all it wasn’t a bad read, it was just average to me.





Rating: «««

2 comments:

Teddyree said...

I've got this one coming up soon. Sorry you didn't enjoy it more, I usually read rave reviews about it so I might now start it with expectations at a more realistic level :)

Jet said...

lol I'm very picky with YA novels so I tend to judge them more harshly.
I hope it meets your expectations when you read it though, will be interesting to see how you feel about it :D