Friday, October 14, 2011

Working Stiff By Rachel Caine

Working Stiff (Revivalist #1)

Genre: Urban Fantasy

Description:

Bryn Davis knows working at Fairview Mortuary isn't the most glamorous career choice, but at least it offers stable employment--until she discovers her bosses using a drug that resurrects the clientele as part of an extortion racket. Now, Bryn faces being terminated--literally, and with extreme prejudice.

Wit the help of corporate double-agent Patrick McCallister, Bryn has a chance to take down the bigger problem--pharmaceutical company Pharmadene, which treats death as the ultimate corporate loyalty program. She'd better do it fast, before she becomes a zombie slave--a real working stiff. She'd be better off dead...






Review

This book was a bit of a surprise, not really what I was expecting, in a good way. One of the more original storylines I have come across in a while. What I really loved about this book was the way Bryn the female lead character was written, she has spunk and is tough. I really liked the sassy way she handled sleazy jerk Freddy coming onto her;

“Bryn was shaken, not that she’d let him see it. “Take no for an answer. Freddy. You ought to know the word by now. I’m sure you hear it enough.”

“Ouch.” He seemed more amused than hurt. “Look, I don’t really want to be seen in public with you either; you’re not exactly up to my usual standards. So how about a quickie down here? Nobody here but Mr. Granberry; I don’t think he’d mind. I could break out the wine coolers.”

“If you come near me with a wine cooler, I hope you go both ways, because I will shove it up your ass,” Bryn walked for the door, half expecting him to grab her and throw her to the floor, but when she looked back Freddy was still standing there, smiling at her.”

Unfortunately for Bryn, she gets mixed up in some mess with Freddy and her boss, they are running a drug out of the funeral home where she works, using it to bring people back to life, once they discover Bryn knows their secret they kill her but the company that made the drug has other ideas for Bryn, they have a leak within their facility funnelling out money and the drug, they need Bryn to help them find out who it is. Bryn being under the thump of Pharmadene and Harte turns out to be worse than death, but meeting Patrick though the situation turns out to be the bright side. This was a really great read that has so many twists and turns. It leaves you begging for the next in the series to find out what will happen with Bryn’s sister and how the relationship will progress between her and Patrick.





Rating: ««««

2 comments:

Amber I @ Awesomesauce said...

I am going to have to check this out. I have read Rachel Caines YA series and I LOVE them!! And I have the first book in her Weather Warden series but have not read it yet.

Great Review, totally got my interest!

Jet said...

I haven't read her YA series as of yet, I have read the first two books from her Weather Warden Series but wasn't that keen on them.
I really loved this book, I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. Thank you so much commenting :)