Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Darkest Surrender By Gena Showalter

The Darkest Surrender (Lords of the Underworld #8)

Genre: Paranormal Romance

Description:

Possessed by the demon of Defeat, Strider cannot lose a challenge without suffering unimaginable pain. For him, nothing stands in the way of victory. Until Kaia, an enchanting Harpy, tempts him to the razor’s edge of surrender.

Known among her people as The Disappointment, Kaia must bring home the gold in the Harpy Games or die. Strider is a distraction she can’t afford because he has an agenda of his own – steal first prize, an ancient godly artifact, before the winner can be named. But as the competition heats up, only one prize will matter – the love neither had thought possible…




Review

Kaia is a strong and determined woman, a harpy in fact and she has her eyes set on one man, the hard-ass Strider. Kaia is to take part in the Harpy games and to do so she must take a consort or a slave, but as she has no slaves she needs consort and as she believes in her heart that Strider is the one for her, he must go with her. Strider has other incentives for accompanying Kaia to the Harpy games, he is after an artefact that he needs Kaia to help him retrieve, a very dangerous task, one that could see Kaia hunted, tortured and killed but none of that will happen with him on watch, Strider is determined of that. Seemed like it took forever for Strider to finally make his move on Kaia and admit his true feelings, wanted to hit up upside the head so many times to get him to wake up and man up already but I was glad when he finally did; I also like how he was protective of Kaia but was aware that she could hold her own and fight her own battles;

“You are not Kaia the Disappointment. Do you hear me? That’s what I was trying to tell you earlier. You are Kaia the Mighty. How many Harpies out there do you think could have brought down the most badass Lord of the Underworld? The same Lord who also happens to be the strongest, sexiest and smartest. And by the way, in case there’s any doubt, I’m describing me.”

There were no shortages of similarly cute moments throughout this read. I really liked the Phoenix angle with Kaia, that’s pretty damn cool and how she managed to save herself with her fire. One of the great things about Kaia is that she is a kick-ass female lead in her own right and isn’t one of those damsels in distress which I don’t really like reading about in books.

I would give this three and a half stars if I could but on the higher end. I just found it dragged a little bit, though that could just be my dirty mind at play wanting to see some Strider/Kaia action though I was expecting a bit more from Strider as a character. This read did leave me eager to read about Paris however, can’t wait to get a hold of his book, I think it’s going to be a real steamer.




Rating: ««««

No comments: