Saturday, January 21, 2012

(ARC) Fire Baptized By Kenya Wright

Fire Baptized (Habitat #1)

*Submitted for review by author*

Genre: Urban Fantasy

Description:

Since the 1970s humans have forced supernaturals to live in caged cities. Silver brands embedded in their foreheads identify them by species: a full moon for Vampires, a crescent moon for Shifters, a pair of wings for Fairies, and the list goes on, for each supernatural species has been tagged and categorized by humans.
Lanore Vesta is marked with a silver X, the brand of Mixbreeds, second-class citizens shunned by society. She stays to herself, revealing her ability to create fire only during emergencies. All she wants to do is graduate college and stop having to steal to survive. But when she stumbles upon a murder in progress, she catches the attention of a supernatural killer. Now all she wants is to stop finding dead bodies in her apartment.

Enlisting help from her Were-cheetah ex-boyfriend Meshach and a new mysterious friend named Zulu, she is steered through the habitat’s raunchy nightlife. But their presence sometimes proves to be more burden than help, as they fight for her attention.

While the corpses pile up, and the scent of blood fills the air, Lanore is left wondering: will she find the psycho or die trying?






Review

 I’ll start off by saying this very much exceeded my expectations. Lanore is a mixbreed with the power to control fire, a pyromancer.  When she unknowingly stumbles upon a murder in progress, Lanore being the only witness to the murder and the killer seeing who she is, it puts her in real danger. Not only does Lanore have her own safety to worry about but she is also caught in the middle of two men, each wanting her for themselves, one who she had been with in the past and one who is new on the scene.  I have to say, I am very happy with who she ended up picking. There is plenty of action in the read and mystery; it really kept me guessing with who the killer would turn out to be. I also liked the elements of humour throughout this book, especially the moment with these lines;

“Quickly covering my eyes, I asked, “Are you going to calm down your beast or will I be using that as a seat during our flight?”
A rumble emitted from his chest. I peeked at him through my fingers as he flashed me a black-lipped smile.
“There are so many responses that I could give you to that question,” Zulu replied. “But I’m afraid all of them would probably get me slapped.”"

The story flowed really well and it was an ease to read. I like the shifter and fairy parts, there aren’t enough reads out there with fairy elements in them. The characters each had their own place and leapt off the page, I also liked how there weren’t too many characters involved in the story so it wasn’t overloaded. A really great read that surprised me on many levels, brilliantly written and it kept me guessing right till the very end. I can’t wait to see where the story goes and how Lanore's love life continues on in the next book.






Rating: ««««

4 comments:

Teddyree said...

Cover caught my attention; thanks for the heads up on a new-to-me author; I do like a good urban fantasy. Glad you enjoyed it

Jet said...

I love reading new authors works with fresh ideas. It is a great cover; the fire lady really makes you stop in your tracks.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting :D

Kenya Taylor Wright said...

Thanks so much for reading my book and reviewing it. You offered me a great opportunity!

Kenya

Jet said...

No problems Kenya, it was my pleasure, I really enjoyed reading it, thanks for giving me the chance to review it :)