Thursday, March 1, 2012

Only The Strongest Survive By Ian Fox

Only The Strongest Survive

*Submitted for review by author*

Genre: Suspense/Crime

Description:

The novel opens with a hair-tingling scene, as two men kidnap Emely Donnovan, one of the wealthiest women in America.She finds herself locked in the basement of a remote house in the middle of a forest, watched over by one of her captors who makes her buy and sell stocks for him so he can get rich. Her challenge to survive becomes even more complicated when Emely’s captor falls in love with her.




Review
 
This was nothing like I have read before and I have to say, I found reading this just a little bit disturbing. The rape scene in book did not appeal to me on any level, I think if it had been more glazed over or just alluded to without going into the act like it did it would have been more suited for me. I just found it an unnecessary part; they didn’t particularly add anything to the intrigue of the story for me. I couldn’t connect with the lead female character Emely, she went from wanting to escape and live, to loving her captor? To loving the man who raped her, tried to kill her and held her hostage and then weeping over his death...I just didn’t understand that. Sometimes I found jumping between Emely’s old past experiences confusing to keep up with but generally it was fairly easy to read.

Unfortunately, I just don’t think this was my kind of book. It was a bit too intense for my liking though I couldn’t help but keep reading to find out how everything turned out. The expression of the emotions of each character was done well and I think the atmosphere of the book was also written to perfection. It unfortunately just wasn’t my type of read, a tad too dark for me.




Rating:
««

No comments: