Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Touch Of Power By Maria V. Snyder

Touch of Power (Avry of Kazan #1)

Genre: Young Adult

Description:

Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan assumes their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Territories, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.

Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince—leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life....







Review
 
Wow, this was a fantastic read, I had to force myself to put the book down at one in the morning to get some sleep, I didn’t want to stop reading.  This book was exciting from start to finish, no boring parts or any skip-worthy pages. It was brilliantly written and the Touch of Power world was fascinating with the Death and Peace Lilies. It was so sad what happened to Flea, I really liked his character and I had hoped that Avry would have found a way to heal him. This read really kept you on the edge of your seat waiting to see what would happen, especially at the end with Avry, very unexpected with how she managed to survive. I also really enjoyed the humour mixed in with the story;

““...things happen that are out of your control."
Kerrick gave him a tight smile. "You mean I'm not omnipotent?"
"You're not even semi-potent."
"Is that even a word?" Kerrick asked.
"He probably means you're impotent," I offered.”

Kerrick started off as a real hard-ass but he grew through-out the book and I was so glad when he manned up for Avry and expressed how he felt before it was too late, even though it was a real close call. I really liked Avry’s strength as a character, there is nothing worse than a helpless female lead and Avry was sure not one of those, due to her ability she was constantly putting her life on the line for others and in some cases even her heart. I really couldn’t get enough of this book, I will have to get the second one when the time comes.





Rating:«««««

2 comments:

Teddyree said...

WoW must move this one up the read list. I've read the study series & enjoyed them but haven't had a chance to pick this one up yet; glad it's awesome!

Jet said...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I haven't read the study series as of yet, I wasn't sure I would like them but after reading this I think I might give that series a go. I really loved this, for sure one of my favourite new YA reads :)