Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Cinder By Marissa Meyer

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1)

Genre: Young Adult

Description:

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, the ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.







Review 

I really loved the cyborg angle in this; I haven’t come across a book like it before, especially in the young adult genre. I’m generally not big into reading fairy tales/fairy tale retellings but I enjoyed this from start to finish and it was a rather quick read for me, which I think was down to how well this was written. Sure, it was fairly predictable, but what do you expect from a re-telling of Cinderella? The story flowed really great and information wasn’t thrown at you in one hit but you gradually learnt more about Cinder, other characters and background information as the story progressed. Cinder’s character was brilliant; she was more than I expected her to be. The plague situation was a great addition as well, I was so sure Peony would survive, and I was hoping that she would get a cure in time.

When I realised the book was getting close to the end I was not happy, I needed more, I wanted more! The end was such a cliff-hanger. As soon as Cinder found out about her heritage and who she was I wanted her to run to Prince Kai and tell him about it and them to have their happy ever after! But I guess I will have to wait until the nest book in the series to see what happens and how the story will continue to unfold. I would give this read three and a half stars.





Rating: «««

1 comment:

Braine @ Talk Supe said...

I never thought I'll like Cinderella as a cyborg but I ended up really loving Cinder. I like the twists Meyer put, the Empress was more like the Evil Queen from Snow White. Love it!

Talk Supe