Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Darkest At Dawn By Christine Feehan

Darkest at Dawn (Dark #14-15)

Genre: Paranormal Romance

Description:

Darkest at Dawn contains two novellas: 'Dark Secret' (already published); and 'Dark Hunger' (already published in the US but this is the first time it's been published in the UK). Christine Feehan has thrilled legions of fans with her enthralling Carpathian tales. Now, together for the first time, are two of her most seductive tales of savage prey and sensual predators...

Christine Feehan has thrilled legions of fans with her enthralling Carpathian tales. Now, together for the first time, are two of her most seductive tales of savage prey and sensual predators . . . Dark Hunger Juliette is a beautiful activist devoted to the liberation of animals confined in a foul and humid jungle lab. But then she stumbles upon an unexpected prisoner unlike any she's ever seen. Or touched. Riordan De La Cruz, an immortal Carpathian male, is trapped and caged, his desire for revenge only beginning. She will release him from his bonds. He will release her from her inhibitions. Both have voracious appetites that must be sated. Dark Secret Rafael De La Cruz has spent centuries hunting vampires, but now he's following the scent of a human. Colby Jansen is a rancher and the sole guardian of her younger half siblings. She is prepared to protect them with her life against Rafael's blood claim. But the arrogant and fiercely sensual Rafael is after more than her family - he wants Colby. And there's nothing she can do to stop his raw desire to possess her.






Review 

Dark Hunger

I really couldn’t get into this novella. At the start I was enjoying it but as the story progressed I just wanted it to be over already, not that it didn’t have good moments, most of those being the steamy scenes which appealed to the smutty side of my mind. So I give this read two and a half stars.


Dark Secret

Much like the first, at the start I was sucked into the story, if Colby was going to be able to protect her family and keep her ranch safe, if she was going to be able to remain strong and stick to her morals. I was hoping that I was going to love this one and it would make up for my disinterest in the first novella, but it sadly didn’t. I found the characters irritating at times and sometimes rather repetitive. However there was no lack to steam and I did like moments shared between Rafael and Colby, though I did find Rafael arrogant which is an instant turn-off for me with any character in any read. This wasn’t a “bad” story by any means, it just didn’t grab me. I would give this novella the same as the first, two and a half stars.


Over all, this book wasn’t my cup of tea. I don’t know if it was the style in which it was written that didn’t allow me to get enthralled by the read, or how I couldn’t connect with the characters. I had such high hopes for this book, two novellas in one, twice the fun? But sadly I feel a bit let down; oh well, it happens, but I will definitely be checking out other books by Christine Feehan in future, I refuse to let these novellas stop me!        





Rating: ««

No comments: