Saturday, July 7, 2012

Mind Games By Carolyn Crane

Mind Games (The Disillusionists #1)

Genre: Urban Fantasy

Description:

JUSTINE KNOWS
SHE'S GOING TO DIE.
ANY SECOND NOW.

Justine Jones has a secret. A hardcore hypochondriac, she's convinced a blood vessel is about to burst in her brain. Then, out of the blue, a startlingly handsome man named Packard peers into Justine's soul and invites her to join his private crime-fighting team. It's a once-in-a-lifetime deal. With a little of Packard's hands-on training, Justine can weaponize her neurosis, turning it outward on Midcity's worst criminals, and finally get the freedom from fear she's always craved. End of problem.

Or is it?

In Midcity, a dashing police chief is fighting a unique breed of outlaw with more than human powers. And while Justine's first missions, including one against a nymphomaniac husband-killer, are thrilling successes, there is more to Packard than meets the eye. Soon, while battling her attraction to two very different men, Justine is plunging deeper into a world of wizardry, eroticism, and cosmic secrets. With Packard's help, Justine has freed herself
from her madness - only to discover a reality more frightening than anyone's worst fears.







Review

 I liked this read but I didn’t love it. I praise this book for the originality of it and the story is enjoyable to read but the characters just didn’t do it for me. Packard I found just plain irritating, not to mention how he tricked Justine into being part of his team and now her not being able to leave even if she wanted to. I couldn’t believe how everything went down with “Otto” and Justine, though it was a very interesting turn of events that I sure didn’t see coming. Even though I don’t like Packard, I dislike “Otto” even more so I look forward to when the hopefully inevitable happens and Justine hooks up with Packard where she belongs.

The whole idea of taking a person’s weakness and making it their strength I liked a lot and though this read didn’t impress me, I would still consider picking up the next in the series after all I did read this all in one sitting without taking a break, that has to say something positive about this read. Not a bad read by any means and I have hope that I will enjoy the second book more.






Rating: «««

5 comments:

Braine Talk Supe said...

Can weaponize her neurosis... too bad it fell short of your expectations. The plot sounded good as well as the cover

Diana (@Offbeat Vagabond) said...

Things were very split with this book. I actually gave it one of my 6 out of 5 stars LOL! I loved it that much. The originality truly won me over and I couldn't put the book down LOL! Awesome review nonetheless hon. Thanks so much hon :)

Jet said...

This really was one of the most original storylines I have come across for sure. I just didn't connect with the characters unfortunately. I have been reading reviews on the second in the series; people are saying it is better than the first so I'm quite looking forward to seeing what happens in it when I get around to buying it.

Diana said...

Great post!


Thanks for your comment! I hope you liked my blog and consider following it and I'll follow you back :) Just let me know if you do :)

http://petitemini.blogspot.se/

Diana (@Offbeat Vagabond) said...

Sorry the characters didn't do it for you though. I really enjoyed them even though I did want to slap Justine a time or two LOL! I heard that the second one is better as well. I can't wait to read it. It will definitely be something for sure. Thanks again hon :)