Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Shifted Perspective By J. Bridger

Shifted Perspective (Tails of Change)

*Submitted for review by Author*

Genre:
Young Adult/Paranormal


Description:

Caleb Byrne is a bright high school senior who has enough to deal with between college choices, taking care of his single dad, and dealing with his headstrong girlfriend Joanna and an eccentric set of cousins in California. He was managing to get by until the day he woke up a Cocker Spaniel. Even if it only happens monthly and is more embarrassing than painful, the so-called ability is something that he's anxious to be rid of.

He didn't realize his transformations would drag him into a hidden society of canine and lupine shape shifters as well as a family legacy he hates. To make matters worse, after moving to Los Angeles to learn more about his heritage from his Aunt Moira and his cousin Kalista, Caleb now struggles through life-and-death matters. He keeps angering the werewolves in charge of the shifter world, especially Kalista's boyfriend Peter, the Southern California alpha's son, who also happens to be grade-A sociopath. Worse, Caleb's floundering to keep his secret from Joanna.

While his family offers him some support, they may not be enough as Caleb realizes that the rules in shifter society---number one is supposed to be don't kill humans---are not so ironclad. Some werewolf out there is leaving a blood-soaked trail across the Midwest and it might just be with the alpha's blessing...







Review 

I like the idea of this read, I have never heard of a plot similar to this one before and it intrigued me right from the get go. The first thing that comes to your mind when you think of a shifter is something bad-ass like a werewolf, not so much a cute and cuddly dog. It was neat when Samson the family dog started communicating with Caleb, he had a bit of a sense of humour that dog as well, it added a fun element to the story.

I didn’t particularly care much for a few of the female characters, I didn’t like Joanna or Penny especially, I found them both quite irritating and self-serving. I am interested to know if Caleb will ever get to find his mother and get some more answers, and maybe he will find a girl along the way that isn’t Joanna or Penny who will support him and help him find himself. I feel a tad bad for Peter, even though he is a real jerk, with all he has had to put up with from his family you can understand his harsh behaviour.

Althea turned out to be a surprise, she may be nuts but she sure is crafty. I sense a lot of trouble ahead of Caleb.  I think as a starting off point this wasn't a bad read, it didn't enthral me however but I can see that as this series continues, which I hope it does, it has a lot of potential. If you like a read that is on the quirky side, or are looking for something different to read, then you might want to give this book a try.







Rating: «««

5 comments:

J Bridger said...

Thanks for reviewing!

roro said...

tnx 4 the review. cute

Diana (@Offbeat Vagabond) said...

I received this as well. I love the idea too and I agree, I always think badass when I think of shifter. But this is nice. Can't wait to dive into this. Great review hon. Thank you :)

Jet said...

Can't wait to see what you think of this Diana! :)

Thanks for allowing me to review your book J. Bridger, and thank-you all for stopping by and commenting :D

Diana (@Offbeat Vagabond) said...

@Jet - Can't wait until I check it out myself. Thank you again hon :)