Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Immortal Rules By Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden #1)

Genre: Young Adult

Description:

"In a future world, vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity."Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of "them." The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked--and given the ultimate choice. Die...or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend--a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what--and who--is worth dying for.







Review 

This read far exceeded my expectations. It started off a little slow, but once the story started to get going and kick into gear, it was near impossible to put this book down, I needed to keep reading to find out how this all ended. The story flowed so well and I thought it was perfect how the book was divided into sections as Allison’s life took different turns and her situations changed.

I loved Allison right from the start, she is strong and fierce, she is a fighter. Allison faced so much heartache, with her friends being killed and then someone she had protected and cared for turning their back on her, she just kept getting bad things happening to her time after time. Kanin is still a bit of a mystery to me, I think we still have so much more to learn about him and we are really left hanging at the end of the read with wondering if Allison will ever find him.

Zeke was another of my favourite characters in this, he may have doubted Allison when he found out what she was but once he learned about her true nature and trusted his instincts they made a great pair. I am hoping so badly that in the next book they get reunited, they are too good a match to be lost to each other forever. A fantastic start to the series and I have such high expectations for the next installment, I can just tell that I won’t be let down. I would give this read four and a half stars, I really enjoyed it.







Rating: ««««

7 comments:

Diana (@Offbeat Vagabond) said...

Holy crap, you beat me to the punch. I was working on my review for this. I loved this book. You hit it on the head hon. Zeke and Allison were great together. I hope they get reunited too. But that was an awesome ending though. I just thought Jeb was nuts, but wow! Kanin definitely plays a huge role in what has happened and I hope Allison will be able to help him. Awesome review hon. So glad you loved this book hon.

Jet said...

Oh my gosh, review twins! I can't wait to read your review on this :)
I was thinking Jeb was off his rocker as well. I think that is the work of a great author, just when you think you know it all, bam! Your mind gets blown. I can't wait for the next book and to see what happens, no doubt Allison will continue to be such an amazing character and have my fingers crossed for more Zeke. Thanks so much for commenting :D

Braine TS said...

I keep on forgetting I have this! Glad you liked this Jet, one of these I'll read this book.

Diana (@Offbeat Vagabond) said...

@Jet - I can't wait to post it :) I have heard Kagawa was a great author, but haven't started her Fae series. But I will very soon especially after this. She has another series coming out as well. I am about to request it on Netgalley. I agree, every time you think you have seen it all, something like this comes along. So amazing. My fingers are crossed too for Allison and Zeke. No way am I excepting that LOL! You are so welcome hon :)

@Braine - I hope you do soon especially before the film comes out. This will make one badass movie.

Teddyree said...

Sounds good! I didn't enjoy The Iron King, so didn't continue on with the Iron Fey series, wonder if I'd enjoy this series more?? I've got an ARC of The Lost Prince to review, hope it's a good read :)

Jet said...

This was on my shelf for a while Braine before I got around to reading it, wish I had read it when I first got it though, I had been missing out.

I haven't read her Fae series either Diana, I'm not much of a Fae fan so I have been hesitant about taking the plunge and starting the first of them. They sound interesting though and I do like Kagawa's writing style.

Oh no, that is not good news about The Iron King. I don't think I will be rushing out to read the Iron Fey series by any means in that case. I am very picky about YA so you might enjoy this series more :) I hope The Lost Prince turns out to be a winner!

Thank-you all for stopping by and commenting, it is greatly appreciated :D

Diana (@Offbeat Vagabond) said...

I love Fae books, so I will give it a go and I am with you, I really like Kagawa's style as well. Thanks again hon :)