Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Secrets Exposed By Lisa Renee Jones

Secrets Exposed (Tall, Dark & Deadly #0.5)

Genre: Romantic Suspense

Description:

Her enemy is her passion, her passion is her enemy.

Lindsey Paxton was once the number one defense attorney in New York. She fought for those who were innocent, but charged. Her instincts were her lifeline, never failing her, as they guided her in her choices of who to defend. Or so she thought. Until she won a case she would forever wish to have lost. Her client, an accused rapist, kills and rapes a woman only a day after being set free. Destroyed by her role in the woman's death, Lindsey blames her father's controlling ways for what she has become, and runs from her career and life.


Years later - the past becomes the present . . . Her father has cancer, and Lindsey is forced to leave her career with the Washington branch of the FBI. She finds herself facing the responsibility of running her father's law firm with the reluctant help of hotshot attorney Mark Reeves, a man who sparks her temper while also managing to tempt her body, her mind, maybe even her heart. With his help she finds herself fighting the emotional battles of the past, tempted to trust both him and her instincts. Now, faced with a case inherited from her father so similar to her career-ending one, she now must decide if her instincts will lead her down the path to saving an innocent man or setting free another killer. But while she fights her own battles, someone watches, wanting from the past what he had failed to get the first time . . . Lindsey.






Review 

Usually I am all for a Lisa Renee Jones read, but this one fell a little short for me. The plotline itself I really enjoyed, but the characters took a while to warm up to and I never got emotionally attached to them which made the read a little uninteresting. I didn’t much care for Lindsey’s father at all, he seemed rather selfish and hot-headed, determined to do what he wanted even if it would make his daughter unhappy or at the destruction of the company he worked so hard to build.

Lindsey’s ex was a real jerk, for a while there I thought that he was the killer and slightly hoped he would be so Lindsey could get rid of this guy from her life for good. The climax scene where the killer comes to light and everything comes to a front felt a bit rushed, I would have liked a bit more expansion of why the killer did what he did or something along those lines.

Over all this was not a bad read at all but it didn’t live up to my expectations. I found the first in the series to be more enthralling, so if you don’t like this prequel don’t give up on the series without reading the first book. 






Rating: «««

4 comments:

Diana (@Offbeat Vagabond) said...

I love that cover. I recently discovered Lisa Renee Jones and I love her work. I will be starting this. I am with you, sometimes prequels can fall short, but I never stop a series because of them. That is a bad move. But this sounds like a decent start because I have heard so many great things about this series. Thank you so much for the awesome review hon :)

Talk Supe said...

I thc no you'll like Hot Secrets better. Her mystery isn't all that suspenseful but she makes up for it in the romance department.

Diana (@Offbeat Vagabond) said...

@Talk Supe - Well that is good to know. I will keep my eyes peeled for that. As long as the romance is steamy, I will be good LOL! Thanks hon :)

Jet said...

@ Diana: I am also a Lisa Renee Jones fan, I am never really a big fan of prequels so I probably should have been a little more reserved when starting this but you are right, it is a decent start...and yes, there is some steam ;)

@ Talk Supe: I did enjoy Hot Secrets sooo much more. You are right about her mystery not being much with suspense but redeeming with the romance, which after all is my favourite part in books.


Thank you both so much for stopping by and commenting, I love reading them :D