Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Interesting Reveal of Author Natasha Walker

 
I came across an article which I found particularly interesting a couple of days ago which in turn sparked my curiosity.
 
The article was about author Natasha Walker, who wrote the erotic series “The Secret Lives of Emma”.
 
You can find my reviews for the first two books in the series here:
 
 
What I found particularly curious is that "she", being Natasha Walker, is actually a HE!
 
 
He to be exact is John Purcell. Who is John Purcell? Well he just happens to be the chief book buyer and head of marketing at Booktopia! For those international book lovers out there, Booktopia is an online bookstore here in Australia.
 
This got me thinking, are there other male authors out there, hiding behind a female guise?
 
Does the fact of being female or writing under a female name guarantee you will sell more than if you were writing under a male name?
 
 
 
 
 

 

2 comments:

Addicted2Heroines said...

You're right, this is interesting! I knew that female authors have taken male pen names when debuting in science fiction (like Alex Hughes), but I never thought about male authors doing the same with erotica. Thanks for sharing this!
Cat @ A2H

Jet said...

I was a little shocked when I first read about Natasha Walker, was not expecting it at all.

I suppose there will always be some bias in even the book world in terms of genres and genders, which is a bit of a shame. Hate to think that there might be some amazing erotic reads out there written by men that are getting turned down just because of them being male authors!


Thanks so much for stopping by and taking an interest :)