Saturday, August 10, 2013

Offside By Juliana Stone

Offside (The Barker Triplets #1)

Genre: Contemporary Romance

Description:

When hockey phenom Billie-Jo Barker returns home and decides to play in the local Friday night hockey league, all hell breaks loose. Not because Billie's talent is in question, but because Billie is a woman. And though these are modern times, some of the local guys still have a problem letting a girl into their 'men's club.'

Soon, Billie is at the center of a small town battle of the sexes, with everyone choosing sides. Her sisters. The townsfolk. Her friends. And yet, the only person whose opinion she cares about doesn't seem to care much at all. Logan Forest, the man who broke her heart when she was eighteen and the man she now shares the bench with every Friday night.

She's got a lot to prove and though Billie Jo Barker scores on the ice, will this girl ever score with the man of her dreams?








Review

I do love a good hockey themed read, or any contemporary romance that incorporates a sport in general but I have to admit that this one fell short of my expectations for me and left me feeling a little disappointed.

The let down of the read for me was the sisters, Billie-Jo, Bobbi-Jo and Betty-Jo, I found them quite challenging for most of the read and quite a task to bare. However they did have some moments which made them tolerable and I did admire Billie-Jo’s strength to follow her love of hockey no matter what anyone says and to overcome the prejudices that came with being female and involved in hockey.

I did enjoy the male lead Logan. His personality was strong enough to stand up to Billie’s and he was probably my favourite character. The angle of the sisters father’s illness was an interesting and unique element that I hadn’t come across before in a read.

Over all it wasn’t a bad read by any means, but it just didn’t quite have the elements that I needed for it to be a great read in my eyes. I think I would enjoy reading about the other two sisters more so, especially Bobbi, I predict her book will have a lot of emotion which will allow me to connect with her character more than I did with Billie.





Rating: «««

No comments: