Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Lover At Last By J.R. Ward


Lover At Last (Black Dagger Brotherhood #11)

Genre: Paranormal Romance, M/M

Description:


Qhuinn, son of no one, is used to being on his own. Disavowed from his bloodline, shunned by the aristocracy, he has finally found an identity as one of the most brutal fighters in the war against the Lessening Society. But his life is not complete. Even as the prospect of having a family of his own seems to be within reach, he is empty on the inside, his heart given to another....

Blay, after years of unrequited love, has moved on from his feelings for Qhuinn. And it’s about time: The male has found his perfect match in a Chosen female, and they are going to have a young—just as Qhuinn has always wanted for himself. It’s hard to see the new couple together, but building your life around a pipe dream is just a heartbreak waiting to happen. As he’s learned firsthand.

Fate seems to have taken these vampire soldiers in different directions... but as the battle over the race’s throne intensifies, and new players on the scene in Caldwell create mortal danger for the Brotherhood, Qhuinn finally learns the true definition of courage, and two hearts who are meant to be together... finally become one.


Review

This read was a quick one for me, though I found that I didn’t enjoy it as much as the previous instalments. The story was still very enjoyable and I got lost in the pages, finishing it one sitting. There is so much going on as usual in a Black Dagger Brotherhood book but you never feel lost or overwhelmed.

I like how we got an insight to the strength and integrity Layla has for herself and others, if I remember correctly I didn’t much care for her at all in the previous book, I just wanted her gone so Qhuinn and Blay could be together without interruption but I really enjoyed her in this read and I look forward to reading more about her in future.

As for Blay, I feel like he came into his own in this, he found his strength and did what needed to be done and say what needed to be said, finally. Qhuinn also opened up in this read, he allowed himself to be vulnerable and let down all the barriers he had up, it is almost like Blay and Qhuinn switched places from the roles they played in the past books, they got perspective in each other’s shoes.

My expectations were met with this book, it was everything I had hoped it would be though I feel like I could go back and read it again to get a better understanding of some of the side characters, such as Assail and Xcor. This series is one that I hope never ends and I’d give this particular instalment a rating of 4 stars.


 
 Rating: ««««

No comments: